How to compute income tax as a remote employee for a foreign company?

Jyothish Jayan
Jul 8, 2019
I'm moving from a salaried job to a Freelance Consulting job for an MNC based out of Singapore. Since they don't have an Indian entity, they will be paying my fees directly and I need to figure out the tax provisions myself. The contract clearly indicates an employer employee relationship and my total income for 1 year will be around Rs. 22 Lakh. What are the options available to me- can I claim 44ada filing as a freelancer or should I show it as salaried income? Please advice- the idea is to legally minimize and save tax with less complications.
1 Answer
Jul 8, 2019

You have mentioned that your contract indicates an 'employee-employer' relationship. So it looks like this job is that of a remote employee and not a freelancer. So I don't think section 44ADA would be applicable to you.

Since you say that this is a freelance consulting job, why not get the contract modified to mention this?

Share this answer

Browse All Q&As
Financial Planning for a 30 year old salaried employee

Sachin Shah is a 30 year old Senior Software Engineer, working at an IT services company in Bengaluru. He and his wife want to plan for their retirement and also want to save for their child's education, wedding and for buying a car.

View Case Study
Browse All Q&As